Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Big Group Project




First of all, let me say that i like the group project idea. I like the idea of building an experience or a space that includes so many people from so many disciplines. We all have alot of varied interests and this is a good way to really, um, " collaborate". I also like the idea of gathering a mass of people..however, I begin to wonder WHAT we are trying to do, and not so much where. Outdoor spaces are great of course, i think we can all agree on that...I wonder though, esp. after seeing all the artists in the symposium , people who were all trying to send their message to the world, whether it was political, or personal, they had a specific sort of..goal in mind. In thinking about the nature of the game, finite and infinite games, I wonder which one we are indeed playing.

I would like to suggest some things that have been running through my mind..I like the idea of multiple suggestions, Cris suggests a Treasure Map ( since GPS is starting to sort of began a regular mention) and then Barbara mentions the idea of wrtiing down suggestions. I am really into the idea of pooling togetehr a hatpile of thoughts, ideas, miniature games, emotions, excerises, etc. and going through them one by one. Maybe one day could be set aside for an exploration of each person's specific choice. Or say, we could list nine separte things 1. place 2. movement 3. tool 3. objective 4. documentation and build, with ourselves, a smaller scale model of the eventual " final" project"...These all just ideas of course. I was also extremely inspired by some of the noise artists that showed their work..talking, singing, screaming..expressing oneself through voice can be very empowering, and liberarting..There is a vunerability that is exposed...I know we have an excellent music school, hoever electronic noice making is also very curious to me.


Last of all, I am still really drawn to that large grassy space where Cris and I did our first project, just because it's so big and open. and its not campus...However, it doesn't get much pedestrian traffic. I am also working with the idea of small scripts and dialogues that could play played out..I have a soft spot for French cinema and avant-garde kind of fantasy pieces of pop culture nonsense..but thats just me.Public transportation, and bikes were also mentioned..

I am not entirely sure what role I could play in this project. i am still working on building models of transportable homes. Performance and documention always interest me, as well as making ..stuff!


Anyways, see you all on thursday.

No comments: