Friday, January 19, 2007

Simone Forti

Animate Dancing
A Practice in Dance Improvisation
Simone Forti

“ I have found that we think differently when we are in motion. And this is the thinking I am trying to access.”
Simone Forti

I am very much interested in the same idea or observation in my own art practice. I am fascinated with the way electric impulses in our brain work and also in the sudden bright ideas. I discovered this sensation when I started taking walks on the railroad tracks. Due to the repetitious nature of my form of walking I caught myself in a theta brainwave state. This is also something that happens to people who are driving on a freeway, and discover that they cannot recall the last five miles. Individuals who do a lot of freeway driving often get good ideas during those periods when they are in theta. During my walks I noticed that it is a state where tasks become so automatic that I can mentally disengage from them. I am in a state of mental relaxation which makes me prone to a flow of ideas.

1 comment:

barb13 said...

Thank-you. Now I feel better about driving everywhere. It can be a time for creativity, which I have often experienced. Although my butt may widen, my mind can dance!